ApprenticeshipNC and AAUW Greensboro are celebrating National Apprenticeship Week (NAW) in a BIG way! As Chair of Women in Nontraditional Careers (WINc) and now the State DEI Chair, I am excited to announce an upcoming event that will be held to celebrate women and diversity in the workforce. Our very on AAUW Greensboro Branch member, Randi Francis of the Nehemiah Community Empowerment Center will be hosting an in-person event on Nov. 18 in Greensboro, NC to honor those that have completed her pre-apprentice and apprenticeship programs. It will also serve as a signing ceremony for her new cohort of apprentices and an interest meeting for new potential candidates. https://www.eventbrite.com/e/apprenticeship-awards-ceremonyinterest-meeting-the-nehemiah-center-tickets-205231421707
Laura Tew, President of the AAUW Greensboro Branch has submitted a Proclamation which is featured on the US Dept. of Labor’s NAW websitewww.apprenticeship.gov/NAW and linked to the ApprenticeshipNC State website ApprenticeshipNC | NC Community Colleges. The Proclamation can also be found on the AAUW Greensboro Branch website AAUW National Apprenticeship Week November 15 – 21 2021 | Greensboro (NC) Branch.
Here is more information about the Nehemiah Community Empowerment Center’s Pre-apprenticeship/Apprenticeship and Phenomenal Women in STEM program: https://vimeo.com/478693442.
Additionally, US Dept. of Labor has posted a list of upcoming National Apprenticeship Week (NAW) events, see below. Registration is open now and you can register to attend these virtual events if your schedule permits. These events provide great information about apprenticeship programs that are happening across the country! I have highlighted some that may be of particular interest to AAUW members. Hope you enjoy the rest of your week.
Highlighted events include:
- Mon, Nov 15 “Apprenticeship 2025: A Bold Vision for the Registered Apprenticeship System,” hosted by the Urban Institute. This event will provide an overview for all four of the newly launched Registered Apprenticeship Technical Centers of Excellence – Diversity and Inclusion Center, Strategic Partnerships and System Alignment Center, Apprenticeship Occupations and Standards Center, and Data Performance and Best Practices – and how they will collectively accelerate progress toward a stronger national apprenticeship system by 2025. Register here.
- Tues, Nov 16 “Youth Apprenticeship: A Vision for the Future, a Plan for Today,” hosted by JFF. Join JFF during this NAW virtual event to discuss the promise of apprenticeship for in-school and out-of-school youth, and learn how leaders across the United States are implementing and expanding these programs in their schools, regions, and states. Register here.
- Wed, Nov 17 “The future of work and the workforce: A conversation with U.S. Secretary of Labor Marty Walsh,” hosted by Brookings. The Center for Technology Innovation at Brookings will host the U.S. Secretary of Labor Marty Walsh for an in-depth conversation on the future of work and the American workforce. Secretary Walsh and Brookings Senior Fellow Nicol Turner Lee will discuss policies to help reorient the labor force to existing market demands and cultivate a 21st century workforce, ensure the economy produces good jobs for all workers, and address issues of equity and inclusion that are critical for historically marginalized populations like people of color, rural, and workers with limited formal education. Register here.
- Thurs, Nov 18 “Best Practices for Recruitment, Retention, and Leadership for Women in Apprenticeship and Nontraditional Occupations,” hosted by the DOL Women’s Bureau. This webinar will share best practices from current and former Women in Apprenticeship and Nontraditional Occupations (WANTO) program grantees and features Wendy Chun-Hoon, Director of the Women’s Bureau and Angela Hanks, ETA Acting Assistant Secretary. Register here.
- Nov 19 “Modern Apprenticeships for a Modern Age: Employers Advancing Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility in the U.S. Registered Apprenticeship System,” hosted by JFF. Join JFF and DOL as they cap off NAW with an exciting event to celebrate the launch of the JFF’s new national Center of Excellence to Advance Diversity, Equity, Inclusion, and Accessibility (DEIA) in Registered Apprenticeship. Register here.
Tiffany Jacobs, Apprenticeship Regional Coordinator, Piedmont Triad Region – Serving Alamance, Caswell, Davidson, Davie, Forsyth, Guilford, Randolph, Rockingham, Stokes, Surry, Yadkin Counties